My Best Work in Comprehensive Ebooks…
If you like Novel Writing Help, you’ll love the downloadable version of the site. The professionally-designed 4-part series is…
- Comprehensive. Everything you get online plus much, much more – a complete guide to writing and selling novels.
- Easy to follow. The step-by-step coverage contains everything you need to know, in the order you need to know it.
- Versatile. Whatever app or device you like to read on (iPhone, Kindle, laptop, etc), my ebooks are perfectly optimized. Full guidance on getting the books where you need them is included!
- Affordable. Highly competitive pricing… and the first book comes free. Plus a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re less than delighted.
Interested? Check out the details for each book and add them to your cart…
BOOK 1: HOW TO SUCCEED AS A NOVELIST
Description: Lay a rock-solid foundation for your novel writing career.
Print length: 142 pages.
Word count: 41,000
PART 1: GET OBSESSED
- Motivation Isn’t Enough
- Why You DO Have What It Takes to Succeed
- Why There’s Never Been a Better Time to Write Fiction
- Beyond Money: Other Rewards of Novel Writing
- Three Things to Remember
PART 2: MANAGE YOUR TIME
- Working Hard vs. Working Smart
- How Long Does Writing a Novel Take?
- Finding the Time to Write
- Making the Most of Every Minute
PART 3: USE THE RIGHT PERSON FOR THE JOB
- The Two Sides to Your Personality
- When to Use Which Person
- More Tips on Nurturing Your Artist
- A Few Words on Writer’s Block
- The Third Side: Enter the Entrepreneur
PART 4: USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB
- Traditional Tools of the Trade
- Novel Writing Software
- The Importance of Discipline
PART 5: DISCOVER YOUR SUBJECT MATTER
- The Conflicted Writer
- What Do You Most Want to Write About?
- How Autobiographical Should Your Fiction Be?
- Do What You Love, Love What You Do
PART 6: DISCOVER YOUR MARKET
- The Book-Buying Marketplace
- Genre Fiction
- A Closer Look at the Fiction Genres
- Literary Fiction
- Mainstream Fiction
- Good Novels vs. Bad Novels
- How to Evaluate the Potential of a Market
- Stand Out!
BOOK 2: HOW TO WRITE A NOVEL STEP BY STEP
Description: Outline and draft a page-turning story full of compelling characters.
Print length: 285 pages.
Word count: 89,000
Price: $7.99 USD
PART 1: THE NOVEL WRITING PROCESS
- Are You a Planner or a Pantster?
- Five Tips for Writing a First Draft
- Writing a Novel from the Inside Out
- The Seven-Step Process
PART 2: DISCOVER YOUR BIG IDEA
- One Novel, One Idea
- What Is a Novel Idea?
- Step 1: Brainstorm for Small Ideas
- Step 2: Find the Big Idea
- Step 3: Live with the Idea
- Naming Your Baby
PART 3: DEVELOP YOUR THEME
- What Is Theme?
- Why Does Theme Matter?
- How to Add Theme to Your Novel
PART 4: DEVELOP YOUR STORY WORLD
- Let’s Start with the Characters…
- Choosing Your Protagonist
- Assembling the Rest of the Cast
- How to Make Characters Memorable
- Getting to Know the Characters
- Making Your Hero More Heroic
- Now for the Setting…
- Getting to Know Your Setting
- Falling in Love with Your Setting
PART 5: PICK THE BEST VIEWPOINT
- Viewpoint in a Nutshell
- The Nuts and Bolts of Third Person
- Worked Example of Writing in the Third Person
- The Nuts and Bolts of First Person
- Worked Example of Writing in the First Person
- One Pair of Eyes or Several?
- First Person or Third Person?
- What About Second Person?
- Past Tense or Present Tense?
- Mixing It Up
PART 6: PLOT YOUR NOVEL
- What Is a Plot?
- How Does Your Hero Change?
- Not Sure About Your Plot? Start with Character
- Three Act Structure
- Plotting the Beginning
- Step 1: Start with the Status Quo
- Step 2: And Then Something Happens
- Step 3: The Hero Makes a Decision to Act
- Beginning a Novel “In Medias Res”
- Plotting the Middle
- Step 4: The First Mini Plot
- Step 5: More Mini Plots
- Step 6: The Character Hits Rock Bottom
- Plotting the Ending
- Step 7: Reaction
- Step 8: Rebirth
- Step 9: Seizing the Prize (Or Not)
- Step 10: The New Status Quo
- Adding Subplots
- Shaking Up the Chronology
- Adding Prologues and Epilogues
- Adding Parts and Chapters
- Getting the Time Straight
BOOK 3: HOW TO GET THE WORDS RIGHT
Description: Learn how to write pitch-perfect prose and dazzling dialogue.
Print length: 132 pages.
Word count: 36,000
Price: $5.99 USD
PART 1: THE MECHANICS OF WRITING
- The Five Building Blocks of Writing
- The Two Writing Modes: Showing and Telling
- Showing, Telling & the Five Building Blocks
- The Secret to Compelling Writing: Motivation and Reaction
PART 2: WRITING WITH STYLE
- Teaching the Unteachable
- Finding Your Voice
- The Elements of Style
PART 3: A DEEPER LOOK AT DESCRIPTION
- Why Descriptive Writing Matters
- Descriptive Writing and the Five Senses
- Figures of Speech
- Details, Details, Details
PART 4: A DEEPER LOOK AT DIALOGUE
- The Rules of Dialogue
- Rule #1: Dialogue Should Be There for a Reason
- Rule #2: Dialogue Should Be in Conflict
- Rule #3: Keep Your Dialogue Concise
- Rule #4: Avoid Obvious Dialogue
- Rule #5: Give Characters an Agenda
- Rule #6: Avoid Characters All Sounding the Same
- Rule #7: Don’t Have Characters Talk in a Vacuum
- Rule #8: Watch Your Use of Dialogue Tags
- Rule #9: Get the Formatting and Punctuation Right
- Rule #10: Don’t Forget to “Tell”
PART 5: A DEEPER LOOK AT MONOLOGUE
- What is Interior Monologue & Why Does It Matter?
- The Two Types of Interior Monologue
- Interior Monologue Mechanics
- What About Monologue in a First Person Novel?
PART 6: HOW TO WRITE…
- How to Write Opening Lines
- How to Write Closing Lines
- How to Write About the Weather
- How to Write About Sex
BOOK 4: HOW TO SELL YOUR FICTION
Description: Smart strategies for publishing and promoting novels in the Digital Age.
Publication date: Mid-December
Price: $7.99 USD
(I will contact all customers when Book 4 is published.)
PART 1: THE TWO PATHS TO PUBLISHING SUCCESS
- What Does Success Mean for You?
- 1. Get Published Traditionally (But Tilt the Odds in Your Favor)
- 2. Become an Independent Author
- Royalties, Advances and Costs
- How Much Do Authors Earn?
- Making It Past the Gatekeepers
- What Do Publishers Do For Authors?
- How Important Is Control to You?
- Which Path is Best?
PART 2: DEFINE YOUR PUBLISHING STRATEGY
- Getting Published Isn’t the Problem
- Your Biggest Problem Is Lack of Time
- Why Most Marketing is a Giant Time-Suck (and Doesn’t Work)
- Do You Really Need an Author’s Platform?
- How Many Novels Do You Plan to Write?
- How to Succeed in Traditional Publishing by Embracing the Internet
- The Self-Perpetuating Book-Selling Machine
PART 3: PREPARE FOR PUBLICATION
- Edit Your Novel
- Supplementary Pages
- Format Your Manuscript
- Write a Compelling Description
- Create a Professional Cover
PART 4: PUBLISH YOUR NOVEL ONLINE
- Sign Up With Kindle Direct Publishing
- Create Your Kindle Listing
- Publish a Paper Book on Amazon
- Publish Your Novel In Other Online Marketplaces
PART 5: BUILD YOUR ESSENTIAL PLATFORM
- Create Your Amazon Author Page
- Build Your Website
- Sign Up to an Email Service
- Add One or More Social Media Accounts
PART 6: DRIVE CUSTOMERS TO YOUR SALES PAGES
- Promote Your Book to Everyone You Know
- Advertise on Amazon
- Advertise on Social Media
- Promote Your Book on Specialist Sites
- How to Create Links to Your Books
PART 7: MANAGE YOUR BOOK-SELLING MACHINE
- Launches and Relaunches
- How to Get Reviews
- How to Collect Email Addresses
- How to Turn Readers Into Fans
- Refine Your Strategy As You Write More Books
PART 8: LAND A TRADITIONAL PUBLISHING DEAL
- How to Find an Agent
- Use Your Online Experience to Make a Killer Submission
- How to Negotiate Your Contract